Stolen - Lucy Christopher What would you do if you're abducted to the middle of nowhere? I hate deserts. I winced when Christopher described about the heat and the rawness of the desert. Why are we even talking about deserts?Why?Because in reality it's actually beautiful. It shows the vastness of the world, the rawness, the emptiness and the loneliness. I read this short story called the Tears of the Desert by Paulo Coelho. It's a story about this man who listens everyday to the sobbing of the desert and a missionary who confronts the man about its sobbing. The man said that the desert cries everyday because it dreams of being useful to people and the missionary replies: "Well, tell the desert that even though we human beings have a much shorter lifespan, we also spend much of our time thinking we are useless. We rarely discover our true destiny, and feel that God has been unjust to us. When the moment finally comes, and something happens that reveals to us the reason we were born, we think it’s too late to change our life and continue to suffer, and, like the desert, blame ourselves for the time we have wasted." And the next day, the place where the man used to sit and listen to the sobbing of the desert seemed wet because a small spring started bubbling there. Soon the inhabitants built a well there and called the place 'The tears of the Desert'I know this is completely irrelevant to the review but this story floated into my mind while I was reading Stolen.Christopher has beautifully described the desert. A very difficult topic to describe because many of us do not understand the beauty of the desert. You saw me before I saw you. Gemma is our lovely lead who writes a letter to Ty, her kidnapper. A moving letter about how she was kidnapped by him and her life in the desert with him.I would have honestly cried if I was in Ty's place if the letter was addressed to me.Ty, her kidnapper was lovely too. I cannot dislike him because he kidnapped her. Wait - I cannot say 'I cannot dislike him' because I don't know how I feel about him. I like him, I love him and yet I still dislike him. He is a baffling specimen who is truly lonely at heart and is in a desperate need of company. I believe he wanted to be accepted by Gemma, he had known her for a long time. And unfortunately he found that to be accepted by the girl he likes - the only way is, is to kidnap her. How sad. How I wish he didn't do that and went out with her instead; like a normal boy would.But then, if this had happened the desert wouldn't be a part of this story, would it? The beauty of it shall ever be baffling and confusing to everyone who haven't been in a desert before. Stolen moved me, it blew me and in the end it killed me. Whenever I think about this book there is this slight pull of my heartstrings. It is not heartbreaking, I honestly don't know. It's not tragic romance. I don't know what this book conveyed but it surely did change my perspectives of various things. A beautifully written novel. I still cannot imagine how Christopher managed to write so beautifully about deserts and abduction.